Shopify hosts over 1.7 million e-commerce businesses. Merchants prefer it because:
- It’s clean and intuitive,
- It’s easy to set up a store on Shopify,
- Shopify’s at the forefront of e-commerce innovation,
- And…because it has the Shopify App Store!
The Shopify app store contains over 6300 apps for building, managing, and growing a Shopify store. It’s nicely structured and categorized for merchants to find what they need.
The problem is: Each category has 10s or even 100s of apps. And most of the apps you’ll discover will have positive reviews on the app store.
So how can you know which is the best Shopify app in the particular category? For one, you can do a lot of research and experimenting. Or, you can read our listicle on the best Shopify apps.
We have done the hard work for you. And these are the 13 best Shopify apps you should install to grow your e-commerce business.
The 13 Best Shopify Apps For Your Store
Our list includes apps in categories merchants commonly scroll through when they decide to extend functionality for store growth. If you’d like us to review apps in other categories than the mentioned ones, let us know in the comments.
Best Shopify Apps For Referral & Affiliate Marketing
These (or rather ‘this’) Shopify apps help you create an affiliate program for your store and generate word of mouth, growth loops, & sales without ads. Some of the top businesses use referral programs, and so should you.
You must be (sarcastically) thinking, “Hmm…The #1 best Shopify app, according to Social Snowball, is Social Snowball. Seems about right!”
First of all, we are not saying Social Snowball is the #1 Shopify app. We are just saying Social Snowball is the #1 affiliate app for Shopify!
And we truly believe that. Perhaps it’s because we added features we couldn’t find elsewhere. Or because those features have made our customers up to 30% extra in revenue. The simplified payouts that keep the merchant-affiliate bond strong might have something to do with it as well. Or…or…we guess, it’s because we have the highest possible rating on the Shopify app store.
- Automated affiliate marketing: Social Snowball turns all customers into affiliates.
- Thank you page: At the thank you page, all customers see a personalized discount code (with their name in it) that they can share with their friends for mutual benefit.
- Simplified payouts: Send instant payouts to your affiliates, all from your dashboard.
- No hassle: Customers don’t need to fill any forms or do anything extra to be an affiliate.
14-day free trial.
- Snow Day ($39/month),
- Blizzard ($249/month).
Best Shopify Apps For Email Marketing
On average, businesses generate $38 for every $1 spent on email marketing. These Shopify apps help you create email campaigns for your store.
Klaviyo makes running email campaigns a breeze for Shopify store owners. And as they mention on their site, “Shopify stores make $85 for every dollar they spend on Klaviyo.”
It collects and stores relevant data of all customers from multiple touchpoints so you can create truly personalized email campaigns.
- You can segment users using any combination of data you (and Klaviyo) have. For example, location, purchases, previously viewed products, etc.
- You can set trigger flows based on dates (example: 2 days after a user signs up), events (example: cart abandonment), and more to A/B test your way to best open rates, high conversions, and more sales.
Of course, it also tracks email performance for you to see and improve.
One more thing: You can run SMS campaigns with it as well!
- Forms: A range of form templates you can use to collect store visitors’ data.
- Segmentation: Create rich user segments to truly personalize your emails and get exceptional open rates and conversions.
- Reporting: Track your email & SMS performance to measure the impact of email marketing on your store.
- Integration: It integrates with 100+ platforms and apps, including Social Snowball.
Klaviyo’s pricing depends on the number of email addresses and/or contact numbers* you have. Here’s a glimpse at their email plans:
- Free: You can send up to 500 emails to a total of 250 contacts for free.
- $20/month: Send unlimited emails to up to 500 contacts.
- $30/month: Send unlimited emails to up to 1000 contacts.
- $45/month: Send unlimited emails to up to 1500 contacts. And so on…
SMS plans are separate, but Klaviyo also offers combo (email + SMS) plans.
Omnisend is perhaps the best omnichannel marketing app for Shopify. You can run SMS campaigns, send push notifications, use collected data for Facebook & Google ads, and run powerful email campaigns.
Alone as an email marketing tool, it has everything you’d expect – email templates, email builder, segmentation, automation, and in-depth reporting.
- Email collection: Use Omnisend’s wide range of pop-ups, landing pages, signup boxes, and more to collect emails.
- Automation templates: Choose from pre-built workflows to get subscribers, recover visitors, cross-sell, and more.
- Create lookalike audiences: Sync Omnisend with Facebook and Google to create lookalike audiences and get higher conversions.
Omnisend’s pricing, too, depends on the number of contacts. For example, if you have 5000 contacts, annual plans are:
- Free: Limited features, send 15,000 emails/month.
- Standard ($13/month): Advanced email marketing features, send 15,000 emails/month
- Pro ($80/month): All advanced features (email, SMS, web push notifications), send 15,000 emails/month
Tada is more of a gamification app than a full-fledged email marketing app. It can’t help you with running start-to-end email campaigns as Klaviyo or Omnisend does. But…it helps you with the most crucial part of email marketing: emails!
Tada’s gamified email popups attract users with interactable games, gifts, and discounts to increase your leads/email subscribers and sales.
You can even integrate it with Klaviyo and Mailchimp to start warming up the subscribers with email flows.
- Popups: Tada’s exceptional popups get seen and interacted with.
- Email validation: It ensures email addresses are valid, so you get a high delivery rate and no future emails land in spam.
- Exit-intent popups: As soon as visitors try to leave your Shopify store, Tada shows a popup (with discounts, timer, etc.) to re-engage visitors and increase conversions.
7-day free trial.
- Free: Limited to 200 impressions /month
- Starter ($9.99/month): Includes 5,000 impressions/month
- Premium ($19.99/month): Includes 10,000 impressions/month
- Business ($29.99/month): Includes 30,000 impressions/month
- Enterprise ($49.99/month): Includes 50,000 impressions/month
Best Shopify Apps For Social Media Marketing
These are the best Shopify apps that help with using social media for store growth.
Compared to email marketing, a fraction of stores practice Messenger marketing. And that can be your advantage because people are (not used to Messenger promotions and hence) less likely to ignore messages on Facebook.
Recart’s popup messages convert visitors into Messenger subscribers. Then, you can sell more with engaging messages, reengagement promos, and pre-built flows.
All these, as they mention, can get you about 85% open rate, 35% click rate, and 5-9% visitor-to-customer conversion rate!
- Flow templates: Recart has a wide variety of Messenger messages & flows to engage subscribers.
- Start-to-finish Messenger conversation: Right from abandoned cart messages to sending shipping updates and asking for product review, Recart handles all messages under one conversation.
28-day free trial.
Plans: Recart plans are performance-based. For example:
- If Recart helps you generate up to $1000 extra sales: $29/month.
- Or if up to $40,000 extra sales: $499/month.
You don’t update your website gallery as frequently as you update your Instagram. But fresh — latest & greatest — content attracts and keeps people on the website, leading to higher conversions.
With Instafeed, you can show your recent (and/or selected) Instagram photos on your Shopify store. And these photos are shoppable! Meaning, if someone clicks on the photo, Instafeed will direct them to the product page/category/collection.
Pro-tip: People trust actual users more than they trust your ads under perfect lighting or an Instagram influencer promoting your product with a big smile. Therefore, try to get your customers to post on their page, which you can repost on your Instagram, and Instafeed will show on the website. [We’ve mentioned how you can motivate users to create UGC (User Generated Content) in our word of mouth marketing strategies article]
- Shoppable Instagram feed: Your website will always have fresh photos of the products you see — and the photos are shoppable.
- Elegant design: Instafeed’s designs are minimal and attractive.
- Instafeed Free: Free
- Instafeed Pro: $3.99/month
- Instafeed Plus: $19..99/month
Best Shopify Apps For Social Proof
Social Proof is a must. If people don’t see enough social proof on your site or social media, they leave. Install these Shopify apps and see your conversion rates skyrocket.
Used by some heavyweights like Netflix, SKIMS, LEGO, and Crunchyroll, Okendo is the perfect Shopify app to display social proof. Essentially, it helps Shopify stores capture and display product ratings, reviews, and user-generated content (UGC).
You can send review request emails and capture forms to gather customer ratings, text reviews, and customer-generated photos/videos. Because of its mobile-first approach, customers are more likely to provide all three.
Moreover, the Okendo display widget lets you showcase reviews and UGC throughout the customer journey, which boosts conversions.
- Fast widgets: Okendo display widgets are well-optimized and load fast without hurting your store’s loading speed.
- Review request emails: Set automated triggers to ask customers for reviews at the right time.
Sharing: You can share received reviews and UGC directly to Google Search, Google Shopping, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
14-day free trial
- Essential: $29/month
- Growth: $99/month
- Power: $299/month
- Advanced: $499/month
Judge.me does one thing, and it does it well: Allow Shopify merchants to collect and display customers’ reviews.
Customers can leave a text, image, or video message alongside a star rating on Shopify stores with Judge.me installed. To ensure maximum customers leave a review, Judge.me also takes input directly from emails.
These reviews are, of course, great for social proof when visitors land on your website, but there’s more: you can share these reviews on all social media, and these reviews create SEO Rich snippets for Google search.
- Get reviews on auto-pilot: Judge.me will send emails to ask your current and past customers for reviews.
- Multiple languages: Select from 34 languages for your review widget and emails.
- Affordable: Judge.me is affordable compared to other alternatives, and hence is our #1 choice for best Shopify apps for product reviews.
- Forever Free: $0/month
- Awesome: $15/month
Best Shopify Apps For Abandoned Cart Recovery
We already discussed email marketing, SMS marketing, and Messenger marketing options for abandoned cart recovery. Here are a couple more Shopify apps for the same:
Do you know why LiveRecover is better than the abovementioned email and Messenger abandoned cart recovery options? Actual humans from the LiveRecover team chat with cart abandoners to increase recovery!
Yes, it’ll cost you a % of revenue, but you’ll make a lot more than nothing.
- Live SMS conversations: LiveRecover’s agents chat with customers in real-time and make an effort to increase sales.
- Free to install: 20% of revenue generated by LiveRecover
- Growth ($49/month): 10% of revenue.
- Pro ($99/month): 5% of revenue.
There’s a lot PushOwl can do for your Shopify store with its web push notifications – retargeting, promoting sales, announcements, etc. One of the most essential use-cases is abandoned cart recovery.
You can add a 3-reminder sequence with smart delays, different messages, and coupon codes to convert cart abandoners into customers.
- Automated recovery: Set the sequence, sit back, and relax. Let PushOwl recover for you.
- Dynamic hero images: The push notifications will include the image of the product in the cart.
- Basic: $0/month (for up to 500 impressions/month)get
- Business: $19/month (per 10,000 impressions/month)
Best Shopify Apps For Post Purchase Promotions
Thanks to affiliate marketing, email & SMS marketing, social media pushing, enough social proof, and abandoned cart recovery systems in place, you’ll be able to convert visitors into buyers. What next? You try and make them buy more from your store using a post-purchase promotions Shopify app.
The Checkout Promotions & Upsells Shopify app does precisely what the name suggests: upsell and promote other products at checkout to increase AOV (average order value) and customer LTV (lifetime value).
From its dashboard, you can set the products you want to upsell or cross-sell — customers can directly add them to the cart in one click. There’s also an eligibility setting you can tweak if you only want to upsell to a particular category of buyers (e.g., only buyers with a total cart value >$200).
- One-click upsell: Customers can buy the ‘upsell item’ in one click.
- Eligibility triggers: You can choose from a combination of 20 eligibility triggers to show the upsell/discount.
7-day free trial.
- Free: $0
- Growth: $15/month
Another great Shopify app that does post-purchase offers well is Carthook. It has beautifully designed upsell templates that catch customers’ attention. And a great dashboard to help understand its impact on your AOV and revenue.
But the most important part of Carthook is its funnels. You can really get into the details of upselling and cross-selling with its post-purchase funnels. For example, you can show X product when Y product is in the cart + product quantity > 5 + cart value > $100 + ….
- High-converting funnels: Get into the nitty-gritty of what works best with what, and set funnel triggers.
- One-click post-purchase offers: Customers can buy the upsell or cross-sell offers in a single click.
14-day free trial
- Growth: $50/month + 1% of revenue Carthook generates
Enterprise: $500/month (best suited for stores making $50k/month or more in post-purchase revenue)
Best Shopify Apps To Track & Optimize Profits
Everything costs – acquiring the customer, sending cart recovery emails and messages, shipping, post-purchase engagement, paying business taxes, and, of course, the product itself. If you don’t keep track of profits and analyze all expenses, you’ll lose money. So use a dedicated Shopify app to discover your true profits and find profit-making opportunities.
BeProfit tracks all your expenses in one place and shows you your actual profits. It also does cohort analysis to get insights on customer lifetime value, customer acquisition costs, and user behaviors to optimize profit. Additionally, BeProfit tracks marketing performance to show you what’s working best and what’s losing you money.
It syncs with Facebook, Google, Snapchat, Tik Tok, AliExpress, Pinterest, and Bing ads, so you don’t have to add everyday data manually. But, of course, you need to add some data manually, like recurring costs, cost of goods sold (COGs), etc., for precise analysis.
- Precise Profit Analysis: Know what you are actually making and what sources contribute the most.
- Seamless Integrations: Integrate with commonly-used ad channels like Facebook, Pinterest, Tik Tok, etc., to auto-sync the data for profit analysis.
14-day free trial
- Free: $0/month (track up to 10 monthly orders)
- Basic: $25/month
- Pro: $50/month
The above are some of the must-have Shopify apps if you are serious about e-commerce growth. We covered apps for all major marketing methods and more in this list. Let us know in the comments if you’d like us to analyze Shopify apps in other categories and update this list.
If you’d like to add a referral & affiliate program to your Shopify store: